Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Diplomas

Diplomas....graduation.

When we started this adventure way back in 1995 or so I never thought it would get this far. If someone had told me in 1990 when this kiddo was born that I would've not only homeschooled him but homeschooled him through highschool graduation I would have laughed. No way was I going to homeschool my kids.....that is until we moved to a really bad school district the very week he would have started kindergarten. We knew of a family that homeschooled so we thought we could do it that year and send him to school the next.....after all it's only kindergarten....

So here we are in 2008 trying to figure out how to mark this occasion. My original thoughts were to participate in one of the local homeschool graduation ceremonies. There are several to choose from in our area and it would be an easy option but he rolled his eyes and stated that there was no possible way I could convince him to do that. No cap and gown. No speeches. What is the purpose of a traditional graduation for a non-traditional education?

Ok. That all makes perfect sense. We have friends that have moved into the world and have completed their homeschool journey without any of that nonsense. If they need a diploma for some odd reason then and only then does mama print one off. My son would be perfectly happy following suit.

The problem is the members of our family who would question this choice and complain at each family event for DECADES that this poor kid never graduated highschool. There was no diploma.....there were no announcements....how do we know that he did anything for the past 12 years???

So I did it. I ordered a diploma. I could have printed one off my computer for a heck of a lot less money. Since I did not want the kids to have grandma complain about this mama-printed-diploma at their wedding, I ordered a " real " diploma.

We had to name our homeschool which seemed a bit lame but after 12 years we became Mainland Highschool..... wait I think we became Mainland High School. I guess we'll find out when it comes in the mail. That name is now going to be foil embossed on a maroon cover and inside of this padded tome is hand calligraphy and an engraved seal. Fancy.

Being ever aware of the dynamics of our family, my dd stated that we should not stop at a diploma we should order announcements as well. Gramma will be disappointed and complain if she didn't get an announcement of some sort to frame. My son's comment.....save the trees! I thought of printing an announcement off the computer like I would for a baby shower....like I did for my wedding! But no, DD insisted on an announcement professionally done...nothing but the best for Gramma! We searched the site for an announcement that you could order with the fewest cards and lucky us it even matches his diploma......maroon and gold are his school colors.....if he cared about such things. I had to give it some thought on wording because we don't have a specific plan in place for this event. The card simply announces that his parents are pleased to announce his graduation....and a motto...

Do not follow where the path leads.
Rather, go where there is no path
and leave a trail

We have a date, May 3, 2008. We have a diploma and announcements. Now we just need to plan the event. More on that later.

No comments: