Sunday, May 18, 2008

Green Hour #14

Pressing Flowers- Green Hour #14

The flower of the week was our Hibiscus. We reviewed the anther and filiment and our new flower part is the stigma which is quite prominant on a Hibiscus. Our plant had flowers in all stages from buds to faded blooms. We also took a good look at our Huisache-Daisy and were able to see them in all stages as well.
Sam watched the video from Green Hour #14 , helped me gather supplies and gathered our Huisache-Daisy and Hibiscus. He was upset that there weren't more variety in our backyard! Charlotte brought us a few Dandelions to press as well. Sam is thinking about what to do with these flowers after they are pressed - his suggestions was to make bookmarks.....we'll see how they turn out.

This was the simplest flower press to make! He could do it all by himself!

4 comments:

Barb said...

This warmed my heart. The last photo is enough to make you cry...the look of pride on his face with his flower press is priceless.

Thanks for sharing how easy it was for you to make. I was hoping the video would encourage everyone to give it a try.

Great entry and thank you so much for sharing your link,
Barb-Harmony Art Mom

A and C from GA said...

Great post! That flower is BEAUTIFUL,the color is so vibrant!!
I wish I had thought about showing Barb's video to my boys first. They would have liked that. Your son is so cute and I love his idea of making the bookmark. I also love the last pic of him!! Thanks for sharing! God Bless--Angie in GA

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

Wonderful! I agree with the previous comments... that last photo is precious! He'll definitely remember doing this, and I hope the bookmarks come out great!

Melissa said...

Great nature study! Yes, the last photo speaks volumes.

Blessings,
Melissa
www.homeschoolblogger.com/melissal89