Thursday, May 8, 2008

Green Hour #12

New Nature study focus-Green Hour Challenge #12


Sam has had his eye on this particular kit for a while so when I mention that we were going to plant some seeds there was no doubt which seeds we were going to plant! I purchased the fly trap terranium and we kneeded the peat moss and then Sam added the water to make the mixture.

He created a "river" with rocks and added a mini snake for good measure. Now we finally get down to business and plant the tiniest seeds you can imagine. The next step is to........place terratium in the refrigerator and leave for 8 WEEKS before continuing the planting procedure. This is know as stratification. AHHHH.....I know I did this with the older kids but I don't remember this particular step! Check back with us sometime in August.....we'll have some Venus Fly Traps to show ya'll.


3 comments:

Barb said...

Cool, keep us posted.

We just purchased a sundew which is a carnivorous plant too....interesting plants to observe.

Thanks for the link,
Barb-Harmony Art Mom

Melissa said...

Neat project! Yes, that is a long time to wait!

Blessings,
Melissa
www.homeschoolblogger.com/melissal89

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

I used to have a venus fly trap and loved it, although I never could keep them alive for long!
Good luck with yours!