Friday, May 9, 2008

Green Hour #13

We wanted to take a closer look at our Stargazer Lily but there were no blooms. Sam found perhaps the saddest looking trumpet lily in a much neglected part of our yard- I had quite forgotten that it existed.

We laminated the front and back of one card with the parts of the flower from Barb- Harmony Art Mom's Green Hour Challenge #13. The second card has our Stargazer Lily on one side and our Trumpet Lily on the other.

I wanted to ID the anther and filament since they so prominent on these specimens. Sam wanted to ID all the parts so that is what we did. I think Sam is going to have an easy time remembering our terms for this week-our lily's anther was LOADED with pollen and he was covered with it by the time he was done examining it.

We walked around the yard taking photos of our flowers for the upcoming week and we came across these bugs. I'm not sure what they are but we'll keep an eye on them to see if we can figure it out.

4 comments:

Barb said...

You were fast with this challenge! I love the laminated card that you made for the flower parts, excellent idea for carrying in your nature journal or backpack.

It sounds like your son really enjoyed this challenge and I'm so glad.

Thanks for sharing your link,
Barb-Harmony Art Mom

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

Love the laminated cards you made. We'll be trying to do this week's study today.
I also love your header photo of your kids holding hands. :-)

A and C from GA said...

Great study. I also love the laminated Card. I need to do that for my nature back pack!! I don't what the bugs are but they are cool looking =o)

Pauline said...

Thank you for posting about what you did for this challenge! It has given me inspiration for my attempt this week "O) Great job!