Friday, March 21, 2008

Green Hour #6


This particular basket was found on a beach in Spain by Dad when he was about 6 and has traveled with him throughout is life. It makes the perfect container for Sam's pinecone collection and a lovely centerpiece. I have been wondering what do with this basket for years and Barb-Harmony Art Mom's Green Hour Challenge #6 helped me find the solution. Thanks!

It has been a rough week. Sam recovered from his respiratory ailment and was his usual active self for a day before an intestinal ailment brought him down. His participation in our green hour challenge was minimal this week. He did join us outside and walk around the yard a bit to look at our trees but he was happiest swinging so that is what he did for the hour he was outside. All our plans for identification books, etc will need to wait until next week.
Charlotte made her first pine cone bird feeder. I planned on doing this to help get Sam out of the house because this has always been one of his favorite activities. He got really tickled watching his sister make such a mess. He gave her pointers and directions from his "supervisor's" seat on the swing. " Too much peanut butter." " Charlotte,stop eating it!"
The Blue Jay family loves Charlotte. She got as much bird seed on the ground as she did on the pinecone. They have been dining in that area of the yard since we left but have not allowed me to get a picture.
Sam did help her find the perfect place to hang her finished product. We will be able to see the birds from our dining room window.

10 comments:

Barb said...

Beautiful collection of pinecones! I think we will collect the ones left behind in our yard after they cut down our big pine tree a few weeks ago and make a "collection". We usually take ours camping to put in the firepit so we will enjoy looking at it until then. Now I just need to come up with a container.

Great idea to put up a feeder! We have enough Scrub jays in our yard without tempting them with such a yummy looking treat. :)

Thanks for sharing your Green Hour.

Barb-Harmony Art Mom

Spinneretta said...

Poor thing... I hope he feels better soon!
I like the feeder... A great 2 for 1 activity (do something with the pinecone AND feed birds!)
looks like your daughter had fun ;)

Ms Eva said...

What a great activity for little ones! Too bad he didn't feel better but sweet that he was trying to help his little sis. :)

Angela said...

This is a very creative idea with the cones. Thanks for sharing- I am glad everyone is feeling better!

Melissa said...

I love the pine cone bird feeders, great project! Sorry your son hasn't been feeling well, hope things look up soon.

Blessings, Melissa
In the Sparrow's Nest
www.homeschoolblogger.com/melissal89

Anonymous said...

That is such a fun project for a little one!

Andrea said...

Great job getting out for your Nature study despite your son's illness. Hopefully the time outdoors helped him feel better. Cute pictures!

Dana Leeds said...

That is a nice collection... and I'm sure the birds are enjoying the peanutbutter covered treats. Yum! :-)

Sea Star said...

I love the basket full of pine cones. It is the perfect container for them.

I think we are going to have to do a pine cone feeder sometime. I know my little guys would have such a great time.

Tina in WA said...

Nice collection.

Oh those types of bird feeders are the funnest to make. I think I will have my children make some too. :o)

~Tina