Monday, March 10, 2008

Green Hour #4

The Assignment



" The child should never be required to learn the name of anything in the nature-study work; but the name should be used so often and so naturally in his presence tha he will learn it without being conscious of the process." Handbook of Nature Study. pg.11



I am wanting to really focus on trees but we couldn't resist a trek through one of our favorite parks which is looking a bit wild from winter. The kids seemed a bit shocked at the change since the last time we visited in the fall. They have witnessed the changes in our yard but seemed to think that "butterfly garden" would remain unaltered through the winter. So, although I want to focus on trees, I also wish to visit "butterfly garden" at least monthly this year to document the changes. Sam did not want to make an entry in his nature notebook this week and I did not insist upon it. He did help me pick the pictures to add to this blog entry.



I really wish I had taken a picture of this tree and not just the contrast of the blooms against the sky. I think this is a Texas Redbud but will need to see the leaves in summer to make sure.



Firecracker Plant in the foreground and the old brush being removed for the new growth. I need to remember the picnic table so we can bring our notebooks and draw next time we visit.

A few of the specimens that I'm not sure of their names but will try to follow throughout the year.

5 comments:

Barb said...

Lovely photos from your day out! I love the colors that are all bursting out of the winter-ness.

I'm glad you picked a focus but I'm glad you figured out that you could have your regular nature time and then focus when the opportunity comes up...perfect.

I love your idea of watching the changes in one place over the year. A future challenge will be to pick a tree to do that with but the butterfly garden will give you so many things to observe and watch.

Thanks for the link.
Barb-Harmony Art Mom

nunya said...

Hi there,
Just found your blog. It looks like spring has sprung in your neck of the US (we're in MD).

CarolW
http://amblesideramblings.blogspot.com/

Ms Eva said...

Great photos! We've been watching the man-made pond in our neighborhood to observe the changes through the seasons. It is a great learning opportunity. :)

Lisa~ said...

Wonderful pictures... Oh I long for Spring in our neck of the woods... we went to a local nursery yesterday and it was wonderful seeing color other than grey and green! *Ü*

Great focus, I look forward to seeing more.


Lisa

Tina in WA said...

Beautiful pictures. Oh the kids would love to go to a place like that.