Sunday, March 16, 2008

Green Hour #5



We've been sick and our nature walk time was the first time we've been outside all week. We walked around our yard and looked at our various trees comparing their bark. Sam settled in the hammock which gave him the best view for watching the blue jay family make their nest in on of our trees. He took a nap and woke up so refreshed! The fresh air was just what he needed.


While Sam slept and Charlotte played I read the sections in HONS regarding trees....it is quite a long section. There were nine poems that could be used for copywork or memorizing, a vocabulary list, and many ideas for projects. I have been inspired by reading all the other green hour experiences and really enjoyed Melissa-Sparrow Nest's bird poster. There is park close by that a variety of native trees that are labeled (makes it identification dummy proof!) and I want us to create our own tree identification booklet. We'll try to make it out there this week if we all continue on the mend and then visit seasonally when we finish our tree study.

So to enhance our tree study these next few weeks....

I picked a poem from HONS to work on memorizing and include in our nature notebook.

WOOD-GRAIN

This is the way that the sap-river ran
From the root to the top of the tree
Silent and dark,
Under the bark,
Working a wonderful plan
That the leaves never know,
And the branches that grow
On the brink of the tide never see.
-John B. Tabb


I made a list of the vocabulary on pg. 623 so that I include those terms while talking about our trees.

Our main project will be long term in the creation of our own tree identification book


We will date our trees as the leaves appear and study each particular tree in our backyard in detail as the leaves start to bloom.





A casual observation on 2/29/08
Same species of tree. The tree on the left received extra......hmmm...."water" from Sam during the winter and appears to have liked the special treatment.

4 comments:

Barb said...

What a wonderful entry! I love the first photo of your son snoozing on the hammock. Perfectly, perfect.

Your tree study and making your own guide is a fantastic idea...you are ahead of the challenges a little. :) I think around challenge 7 or 8 I am going to have that as an optional challenge so keep up the good work and maybe I can use you as an example by then.

Thanks so much for the link,
Barb-Harmony Art Mom

Dana Leeds said...

I, too, love the photo of your son in the hammock. :-) I think we need one of those!

I love the idea of making your own guide. I think we'll do it with our leafless plants.

And, how neat about your 2 trees!

Melissa said...

So sorry to hear you've been sick, but glad you were able to get out in the fresh air; sure does feel good after being cooped up.

I'm glad you enjoyed our bird poster and it has inspired you! Honestly it was my daughter's idea; I'm learning everyday the more I allow their imaginations to take flight in nature, the more they flourish in their ideas overall!

Yes, I agree too, the photo of your son is absolutely perfect, so peaceful. Have fun identifying the beautiful trees!

Melissa
In the Sparrow's Nest
www.homeschoolblogger.com/melissal89

Tina in WA said...

Great shot of your son. That is where I want to be right now. :o)

Hope you all are feeling better. :o)

~Tina