Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Reading , week 2 & 3

Week 2.

We finished the Little Red Hen. Introduced words, spelled the words and played the games as we did in week 1. By the end of the week he could read the selection with ease. He could spell some but not all of the words introduced.

I noticed that his reading ability is far greater than his spelling ability. I could spend a few more weeks working on this selection before he is able to spell every word in it but would absolutely kill his interest. I do anticipate having to spend some specialized time with spelling ability with Sam in part due to his speech delays. I don't believe that Sam is going to be a natural speller like his older brother who required very little if any spelling instruction other than copywork and dictation. I think that for Sam this spelling instruction should be separate from his reading instruction because his reading ability is going to quickly out pace his spelling ability.

Week 3.

I switched gears this week so I could make an observation and we worked through 2 lessons of 100 EZ lessons. He was enthusiastic with his ease of reading this book after spending some time with other types of reading lessons. He felt that is was "easy" and when we dropped this book he was feeling frustrated with it. Using 100 EZ lesson really is just EASY. Pick up the book and go. It was a nice change for me not to have to plan and decide what to cover in the reading lesson.

Decisions to be made.

Sam could learn to be an independent reader using either program. 100 EZ lesson is easier to use but a bit redundant in practice. Creating a reading program using Treadwell's primers requires a bit more thought from me and could also become redundant if I'm not careful. For the rest of the summer I think that we are going to alternate between the two. We will spend a few weeks concentrating on 100 EZ lessons and a few weeks concentrating on Treadwells's readers.

I need to make a decision regarding spelling. My preferred spelling program that really helped my older daughter is Sequential Speller but it is not appropriate for a 6 year old. I'm going to spend the next week or so researching spelling programs and see if I can find something that will suit us. If not I will continue to do spelling instruction with our Treadwell's reader selections.

No comments: